The recipe is from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and hopefully Isa will not strike us dead for reprinting the cake and frosting recipe. But once you make these cupcakes, YOU WILL BUY HER BOOK and be happy.
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
1/4 cups Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
1/4 cups All-Vegetable Shortening
1/2 cups Natural Unsweetened Cocoa
2 1/2 cups Organic Powdered Sugar
3 tablespoons Chocolate Soymilk
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1. Mix together the margarine and shortening until mixed.
2. Add in the cocoa powder and mix thoroughly.
3. Add the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup increments, followed by the soymilk (1 tbsp at a time)
4. Add the vanilla extract
5. Cream until smooth and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
EAT IT and take a pretty picture: